"The difference between twelve months and thirteen months is going from idiocy to brilliance, because you have that year-over-year trend."Quicken and Mint work towards a vision of optimizing how people handle their finances. Intuit has a healthy dissatisfaction with the status-quo. They are continuously improving everything by using analytics to make the process better. There are 120 Data Analyst jobs open at Intuit right now. The role of the analytics team is to:
- Optimize the site experience
- Increase conversion
- Drive customer acquisition
- Help Intuit get better through testing
What is a Successful Business Data Analyst? Collaborates and influences to drive actions that impact revenue, units, or resource allocation.The steps in analytics at Intuit:
- Create a learning plan for every program. What questions do you have and what metrics will you track against every question? Analysts and Product Managers (or Marketing Managers) need to have a close relationship in order to determine what analytics are important. Analysts and Product Managers need to feel that they are partners working towards the same goal. The learning plan helps create this partnership.
- Define the data. Every system needs to be understood. Analysts need to understand each system and know who owns it. It's important to know where data can get stuck, and who can answer the questions. The layers are financial data, engineering logs, web analytics, customer surveys, and focus groups.
- Alert the business to opportunities.
- Experimentation. Use experiments to answer questions and add happy customers.
A Proven Data Science Project MethodologyIt's important to help customers effectively use the products, and it's especially important for the customer to make it all the way through the free product in order to pay. Tiny reductions in abandonment rate are major financial gains. For example, natural language processing is used to look at questions asked in the help in order to tell the teams which topics need to be addressed in order to help complete more tax forms using the form itself or the FAQ without additional help. They also want to predict abandonment by analyzing customer behavior, to offer instant help to customers in a course of imminent abandonment. They can also use this information to offer successful customers additional products.
- My understanding of the business problem
- How I will measure the business impact
- The available data, cleansed and documented
- The initial solution hypothesis
- The solution
- The business impact