This presentation, created by Gianluca Brugnoli, is about connecting the dots of user experience, on how to design interactive systems. Below is a summary of the most important points on the presentation.
- Many entry points are possible: in any system (especially online) there are many entry points where the user can initiate the interaction, following context, situation and other needs and goals.
- There is no one best way: interaction and task ﬂow doesn’t always follow one single optimal process, but is the combination of various partial and occasional actions accomplished by the user with different tools in different context.
- Design for connections: in the system scenario, design is mainly focused on ﬁnding the connections with the whole network, than in creating closed and self-sufficient systems, tools and services. Connections are social and cultural assets, other than technical.
And below are the conclusions of the presentation
- For a positive and fulﬁlling user experience, the whole is more important than the parts. Moreover, the intelligence of the platform is more important than the intelligence of the single device, which could be replaced or completed.
- Results are not delivered by a single device, they are the arrival point of a fragmented and random interaction ﬂow which goes through many devices and different situations.
- The architecture of the system becomes a key design challenge. Before focusing on the capabilities and on the features of a single device, the design should start from the organization of the system, and from the possible relationships and connections between the parts which can be activated by the user action.
- Device’s features and use follow its role within the system, which changes continuously in a opportunistic and situated way following the di erent contexts and user situations.
- Tasks and processes depend on the connections and on the parts combined by the user within the system. Primary and secondary features switch continuously following user interaction, also in a occasional and opportunistic way.
- Users are always in the center: they are the protagonist which freely and actively connect the dots, selecting and putting together the di erent pieces of the system.